Monday, August 28, 2006

Experience-junkie

The Spectrum (catalogue of local classes offered) came recently and I have a long list of classes I want to sign up for. If I had unlimited funds, and the time to do it all I'd sign up for at least these ones:
  • Introductory Massage
  • Landscape Design (Beginners)
  • French
  • Digital Photography
  • Rock Climbing
  • Middle Eastern Dancing
  • Breads of India
  • Pottery
Then there's the list of cooking classes offered by the local Superstore.

I was a little concerned when I looked at my eclectic list of potential interests, and recent interests (cake decorating, running, working out, scrapbooking, card-making). The list really goes on and on. Some become part of my life, and some don't beyond the initiation. I wondered if I am just flakey.

I think I've figured it out though. I want to try almost everything. I'm not looking to be an expert at every thing I try, but I enjoy each new experience of trying something I've never done before. I'm a bit of an experience-junkie (a term I coined that my sister makes fun of).

Another thing that has concerned me lately is the dilemma I find myself in:

As I was growing up, I was instilled with a solid belief that I could do anything. I've always been confident that I could do whatever I set my mind on, and have therefore made my life choices so far not based on what I had to do, or could only do, but on what I wanted to do.

Now, I'm 25, still pretty young, but thinking about all the things I want to do with my life, and realizing that it will be impossible to do them all. By making choices to include some things, I necessarily exclude other things.

The thing right now I guess, is to take advantage of the time and freedom I have right now. I don't want to wake up in 50 years and realize that I haven't much time left to tackle my "List of things to do before I die." I'd better order my life in such a way that I am taking advantage of the opportunities and time I have now.

What's that Latin phrase that's quoted way too often... oh right... carpe diem! :) This fall it's Middle Eastern dancing, sewing, drumming and maybe a bit more cake decorating.

4 comments:

rk said...

i really enjoyed this post. made me wanna go out there and try new stuff myself. i have a few on my list too but with young kids and limited budget, i'll have to choose very carefully.

solnechko said...

i love people who like public classes.

have you moved in yet?

Anonymous said...

Way to go girl. I took one class on Uyghur dancing and learned that if you can't do a skill in your own culture, doing it in another highlights your enablity. I do think you will fair beeter than I did, you have that whole felixbibty thing going for you. But I do have something to add to your list of things to do and I think it should bew high on the list "visit Karen"

Jennifer said...

RK- thanks :)

Shona- wanna join with me? I guess you're probably too busy with starting teaching... but it would be fun... :) Just one hour on a Tuesday nights for 2 months... think about it :)

How did your first week go?

Karen! Thanks for responding... I was so surprised to see you on here (pleasantly surprised of course) :) It was so great catching up with you. It IS high on my list to come visit you... sooner rather than later.