Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Grumpy Jennifer

This past week and a half, I got 2 flat tires, my car broke down, and my purse broke. Donnie, our executive director has been sick and in the hospital (he is now recovering at home). Things look positive, but he gave us quite a scare. Since I work quite closely with him, it has thrown me off things at work. Then, starting Saturday and finishing a half hour ago, we've had a candidate orientation program (COP), welcoming 4 great new people to PIONEERS. COP is always one of the craziest and most draining times of the year.

Yesterday I felt like I was simply at the end of my
resources, and I found myself grabbing a quiet moment in my office, grumpy and wanting a good cry. I started a post complaining about the week. As I wrote about my flat tires, I remembered how a co-worker had changed one for me in about 10 minutes, and the other I was able to get to the gas station in time to fill up. As I wrote about my car breaking down, I was reminded of how Donnie & Beth had leant me their car for the week. And then of how Steve & Amanda came from Cambridge and Steve fixed my car for me in about 15 minutes. And then my purse that broke? Out of the blue a friend gave me a new one.

Over and over I was reminded of God's material and practical provision for me. I had been wallowing in my weakness, feeling
irritable and just not up to being around people yesterday evening. When He reminded me of His provision with my car and etc, He reminded me that He had provided for me in every way. All the patience, strength, wisdom and more that I needed was available to me in Christ. I just had to step forward with the faith that He would be enough in that moment.

So I stepped forward, and He provided.

More and more the desire of my heart coming to the surface, is to be a channel of God's love to others. I want my life to be an expression of God's love to the world. Learning my way into the fulfillment of that (so much to learn!) I find the times it is most needed I feel least able to offer it. I remind myself though of the truth that God has made all I need available to me in Christ. My inadequacy is a good thing, because I need to step forward in faith that He is enough and allow Him to love through me.

And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:19

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with
every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ
Ephesians 1:3

5 comments:

Lisa said...

It's hard to complain when God gives you an "out" for each trial that comes your way. You are a very blessed woman ... even with flat tires! We miss you.

rk said...

yes, sometimes we get carried away with all the things that went wrong and forgot about all the other ways that God is providing for us. It's good that as you write about them God shows you the things you've missed.

what happens when there is no "out" for every trail? it sure seems like that to me sometimes. perhaps i need to look harder or maybe wait a little longer. hanging on to God even if the "out" we wanted did not come is difficult but I know it would mean a lot to Him that we did not quit Him even then.

i'm glad yours turned out alright. :)

Jennifer said...

Miss you too Lisa!

rk- Thanks for sharing, maybe this will help clarify... God didn't give me a way "out" but a way "through."

He always gives us a way through. The reason I blogged about my experience of Him being enough in this situation, was because I usually don't see it, and most often I rely on my own energies and strength.

I fully agree that it doesn't always seem like He is offering any help, and it certainly doesn't always feel like He will give me the strength, love etc. I need in the moment I need it.

But I've learned that my feelings are not the most reliable indicators of reality. Most often they just follow my beliefs. The other day, I fully felt like I didn't have anything to offer to anyone, and yet I found myself in a situation that He had lead me into. Even as I acknowldeged my weakness, it didn't feel like He was coming through for me.

I had to take that first step, when all my feelings were telling me something completely contrary.

It's all been part of my journey in discovering that everything I need for life and godliness is found in Jesus Christ, and avilable to me today in Him.

I hope I am making sense. :)

solnechko said...

hey andrea got a flat tonight too. that's weird, eh?

rk said...

hi lisa,
yes, you're making sense. faith enables us to see what we couldn't otherwise see.