Thursday, February 23, 2006

Life plans and goals

I'm reviewing my yearly "personal life plan." I chuckle as I read 2004's, because I recognize how much my perspective has changed. 2004's plan was so performance-driven with concrete goals (and aim of developing high self-discipline to achieve them). After yet another burn-out cycle, I let God begin to shift my thinking.

Last year I couldn't even bring myself to make up a "personal life plan" for 2005. I determined to know Christ, to be consumed by His love, and to learn to let Him live out through me. I don't want to cultivate self-discipline anymore... I want to cultivate Christ-discipline... letting Him have control. I want to walk in more and more in surrender.

I've been way more productive this way, though not with the flashy minisiry achievements I used to aim for. This remains my goal: to let Christ live and love through me. I want my life to be the natural outflow/overflow of His grace and love to others. I'm only in jr kindergarten in this school, but at least I can sit all the way through class now without poking the kid next to me. :)

I also have a fun life goal list "Things to do before I die." Here are some of them:
  • Learn to surf
  • Go skydiving
  • Run a marathon
  • Go bungee jumping
  • Visit an active volcano
  • Travel to every continent (including Antarctica!)
  • Perfect my French
  • Learn one other language (Arabic, Mandarin... ?)
  • Swim with sharks (real ones, I saw it on tv once, you can do it in a cage, while the great whites circle around you :) )
Another winter day... I'm obsessed with this desire to surf. The few "attempts" I've made in New Zealand and Nova Scotia got me hooked. I will find a way... :)

2 comments:

Lisa said...

okay ... if ever possible, I want to join you in some of your things do to before you die. I want to skydive. Matt and I have talked about it and I would love to deal with those fears and just do it. I also really really want to see a live valcano. Please let me come with you. ! :)

Jennifer said...

let's do it Lisa! :)

We'll wait until after baby Dickey is born of course. :)