Friday, February 10, 2006

Anniversary

February 10th and March 13th are always strange days for me. Today (Feb 10th) is the anniversary of when my sister Ashley died, and March 13th is her birthday. I've never been one for dates and anniversaries being a huge deal, but for some reason this one seems big to me. Each year anniversary is like a century, or like some huge milestone separating me from that defining event.

I don't really like it actually. The passing of time brings healing, yes, but it is a little unsettling as well, because I don't want such a huge thing to be lost in my distant past. I don't want such an important person to become, with the passing of time, a far-off, and seemingly unreal memory.

And then there is always the fear of forgetting her. Sometimes I close my eyes and remember the purity and mischief in her smile. Sometimes I concentrate on remembering the softness of her hands as I held them at her bedside while she slowly passed from us. Those were moments that I tried to cherish, and imprint on my memory, having spent too many days and years not realizing our time would be so short.

There are tears in my eyes, but it is not all sad. There is joy also, in the remembrance of God's complete faithfulness, and wonder at the still unveiling masterpiece of His overarching plan.

I miss her so much, and I've given up thinking that that longing will ever go away. But I wouldn't change a thing because God was good in ways that words do not do justice to describe. And there is always the knowledge that I will see her again.





4 comments:

Beth said...

I'm sorry Jennifer. I know that anniversaries like these are hard. Nine years ago (Feb. 14) my Dad was diagnosed with Cancer and died three months later (May 6th). All of those annivesary days are hard. I'll be praying for you.

Lisa said...

Hey Jen, I never even met your sister Ashley, but I don't think I'll ever forget her. You've shared so many stories and pictures of her that once in awhile she'll just pop into my head. If I won't foget her, then I know there are tonnes of people who were part of her life that will always remember. Feel free to "remember" her on your blog or with me whenever you want. I enjoy hearing your stories.

rk said...

you brought tears to my eyes with the way you remember your sister and your confidence in God's faithfulness and goodness. Ashley happens to the the name of my daughter too.

Jennifer said...

thanks beth, lisa, rk.