Friday, January 27, 2006

What a day!

Whew! Wednesday was quite a day. I am still recovering from it, though not as much as others.

Terrible road conditions, and a bit of carelessness caused me to do a full 180 with my car on the way to work. It freaked me out a bit, but wasn't a huge deal.

Another co-worker got their car stuck in a snowdrift and had to dig it out.

Then, at the end of the day, my friend Melanie and I decided that we would go to the mall straight from work. Since we live a distance apart, we were driving separately until we got to a more central location. She made a comment about being nervous driving in the current conditions, and we decided she would just follow me.

Well, a few kilometres along the way, I looked into my rearview mirror and on a particularly icy patch saw her lose control of the car as it veered into the oncoming traffic lane. She tried to correct it, but it swerved out of control, finally facing the direction it had come. I wasn't too worried until I saw her sail off the edge of the road, and I saw the underbelly of her car as it began to roll down an embankment, landing right side up.

It was one of the scariest things I've ever seen in my life! I quickly stopped and jumped out of my car, promptly slipping ont he ice and falling flat on my face. Getting up (and feeling like a cartoon character, my legs moving but my body staying in place) I ran to where the car was sitting in a snow bank with it's nose almost dipping into an unfrozen creek. It was such a relief to find her sitting there, conscious in her car. A few other cars stopped, and brought blankets, and I called 911 on my new cell phone.

PRAISE THE LORD she was ok. A concussion and lots of bruises, but she is recovering nicely now, and with a good attitude about it all. We are thankful for the little mercies that God provided that kept this from being so much worse. The emergency personnel who came (VERY quickly, I might add) emphasized how lucky she was.

6 comments:

solnechko said...

that is an unbelievable story. and it was wednesday? anonther friend of mine ran off the road then coming home form aylmer.

Lisa said...

I didn't realize the roads were so bad on Wednesday in London. Guess we were lucky in Cambridge. Hearing you describe the story makes it sound like something from television, but it must have been so scary for both of you. I'm glad you are both alright. I'm sure Mel will be stronger person because of it.

Jamie A. Grant said...

Glad to hear that everything was all right afterwards. As for me, I was giving driving lessons to someone on Wednesday night. I thought it was a great night for lessons about winter driving. Heh.

Jennifer said...

Hi guys- Thanks for commenting, and the well-wishes. Mel is recovering nicely.

Something just occurred to me over the weekend... I mentioned that I has a mini-mini-accident in the morning right? Well I realized that if it hadn't been for that 180 that I did in the morning, I would have been driving a lot faster (and hence, so would Mel, as she was following me and trusting my judgment). So- if it wasn't for the morning incident, Mel's afternoon incident could have been so much worse! (Thank you Lord!)

solnechko said...

anyway... i was thinking this story could make a really good children's book. whaddya say? (i'm kind of serious)

Jennifer said...

hmmm... you mean with pictures and stuff? What age group are you thinking of?