Monday, January 23, 2006

Frantic pace

Be glad as you read this that you are not with me in person, because
1.) I would probably whine about being sick, and
2.) I can't pass on any germs over the internet

Last week I didn't post because life was going at a frantic pace. I worked my usual hours at PIONEERS, diving into my new responsibilities I have taken on there, and also did five shifts at Christian Horizons. It seemed like a good idea back in December when I agreed to do the relief shifts.

I have been so proud of myself over the last year or so for how I have slowed down my life, and limited my commitments, having learned some vital lessons about healthy boundaries. As someone who has regularly burned herself out since high school, I am learning to live a more healthy life, no longer suffering under the delusion that I carry the weight of the world on my shoulders.

That said, I still make stupid choices sometimes, and then I pay for them. Donnie (my boss) called me on it today, and I appreciated the gentle rebuke. It was all the more humbling because we had just had a discussion about leadership and ministry, and how most leaders' identities are tied so closely to what they do (as opposed to who they are in Christ), that they take on so much more than is necessary, healthy, or even expected by God.

So, that is my humble confession on a Monday morning, still experiencing repercussions from bad decisions, but learning all the way through. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen,
Boundaries are definetely something I've been learning in the past little bit! I think it helps me more in my relationship with the Lord to be less busy with other meetings etc and make more time for Him. I so enjoy your honesty - it's refreshing

Ruth

Lisa said...

That's our Jen ... always looking for ways to be a better person for the Lord. :) I have to be honest with you. Since you made the commitment to make your life less "mountainous", I have felt more connected to you and have enjoyed our relationship even more! God has used you in the small ways too and he's made you such a beautiful person.

Jennifer said...

Steph and Ruth-
Thanks for your comments, it's always neat to hear how God is leading others on such parallel paths. :)

Lisa-
Thanks. :) God is at work in me to take my eyes more and more off of myself, and onto Him, and therefore also the incredible people that He's placed in my life. Thanks for your patience in the face of my many slips into self-absorption.