Thursday, May 03, 2007

Blogging pressure

I've been trying to figure out why I am so terrible at blogging these past 6 months or so. I know it's pretty normal for bloggers to fizzle out after a while, losing interest and enthusiasm... but that's not quite it. I still have a lot to say, and a strong desire to write. My life, as usual, provides plenty of fodder for reflections and stories. But something has been holding me back.

I love to write, and like most writers, I enjoy knowing that what I write is being read. I have a bit of an eclectic blog, sharing a variety of things that are interesting to me. It's been pleasantly surprising over the past nearly two years to find that people are actually reading this blog. It's been nice, but as the readership widened, it got harder to write. I've often reminded myself that this is a public blog, but knowing people CAN read it, and that they ARE reading it are two very different things.

I feel it like a calling on my life to be an open person. Authenticity and transparency are high values in my life and friendships. I've chosen many times to be open here, because in the end, I know a lot of people can relate to the things that I wrestle with: especially life and faith issues. My aim has been to share my journey: as complicated and messy as it all is sometimes. If you can't relate to the situations I write about, you can probably relate to the messiness of it all. I don't even get extremely personal on here; the deep stuff I save for my closest friends and God. There's a lot that doesn't end up on this blog. :)

Looking at nearly two years worth of blogging however, I see the accumulation of a lot of me on here. Sometimes, I just honestly feel like hiding from the world. The desire to be known is overshadowed by the fear that to be known is to be rejected. It would be nice to be transparent, and to have it all together. The obvious reality though, is that to be transparent is to reveal weakness.

So, overwhelmed by the accumulation of what I have revealed thus far, and intimidated by the growing pressure to keep writing, I made a choice to withdraw. I chose not to use my voice. I chose safety (in many areas, not just this) instead of risks. It seemed better than continuing on, revealing more weakness at a fragile time in my life, and inevitably letting everyone down.

I guess I'm writing this as a bit of a catharsis. The admission frees me to let go of the expectations and pressure I feel. I love to write. I even think that sometimes I write pretty well. But sometimes, like today, I'm just getting thoughts out and that's my purpose: communication, not stellar writing.

And now, having written so infrequently for these months, I think I've shaken off a lot of readers. I can start afresh with a blank slate of sorts. :)

5 comments:

rk said...

"I think I've shaken off a lot of readers."

yiaks....i hope i didn't spoil your plan. i'm still around and just to freak you out a bit, i check your blog EVERYDAY! lol...

no worries Jen, just write when you feel "led to". erm...don't ask what that means. it just sounds right, i guess. anyways, i totally identify with what you're saying here. i also felt like giving up at some point and there have been gaps of 2 months in my blog before. i guess i'm still writing because i want to be able to have access to my thoughts at some point in my life later.

hugs,
rk

solnechko said...

jen, you wonder why you write less. have you thought of what effect facebook has had on your ability to get out all your thoughts in one lump? are you giving yourself enough alone time?

Lori said...

I can relate, I feel worried sometimes to write something about myself that will be judged. I guess I'm blog shy these days and because I have little time to form my thoughts, with a new baby and all, I wouldn't want people to think my writing was horrible.

Jennifer said...

rk- thanks, I'm glad I didn't shake you off. :)

shona... I mean solnechko :)- facebook... haha... it probably hasn't helped.

lori- thanks for your comment, it's always nice to know someone can relate.

DLScearce said...

One thought that came to mind was a quote I really like: "Then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin (from Captivating) Of course, this is written from a blogless person?