Friday, July 07, 2006

Why dreams must die

I wanted to share a good article I read on the BBC world news site. It's what I think is a pretty balanced treatment of a polarizing subject.

You can read it here.

I'd write more, because like many, I feel very strongly about this subject, but in the end, all I want to point out is that on both sides of this hotly debated issue are real people. On both sides are brothers and sisters in Christ, as well as many who don't know Him. All, loved by God.

If we as the church would recognize that, we would see the only hope for peace in the Middle East is found in Christ; through us, He offers His love, grace, and reconciliation to hurting people.

3 comments:

solnechko said...

It's weird, though, because it IS so easy to take sides about it and to get angry about it. Sometimes I cannot understand why people, despite being much like me, are on the other side. It's hard for me to imagine not taking a side, because I feel like the Israel/Palestine conflict is right at the heart of God, as well. It is the most UNneutral political issue going on today.

It's funny because I don't usually think about Christ as being the solution. I know we're to pray for the peace of Jerusalem, and that it won't come until Christ comes, and so we're really just praying for the return of Christ... but yeah, I guess I need a bit of paradigm shift.

Jennifer said...

Yeah, it's a hot topic.

I think I've just concluded that I am not as passionate about "causes" as I used to be. What comes to mind for me are the faces of dear people I've been privileged to meet.

I'm skeptical of grand political solutions apart from the return of Christ, but every single day between now and then He is busy transforming individual lives.

Someday, we'll worship Christ alongside brothers and sisters from every nation, including these.

I'd rather focus on the individual people who enter my realm of influence, than with political or eschatological concerns.

Jennifer said...

Here's a good article regarding the escalating conflict in Lebanon:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5180202.stm