Friday, October 07, 2005

So many missed opportunities

A few weeks ago I wrote about my realization that I've never really seen people. I've seen them, but I haven't seen them. My eyes are starting to be opened to behold the unique beauty and glory of God that He reveals in each person.

But my old habits die hard. I reflect on the various interactions I've had with people of late and realize that there are so many missed opportunities.

There are so many times that I interact with people, talk with them, listen to them- but fail to really engage. I enjoy myself rather than enjoying them.

I get so excited about what I'm learning, and what I want to say that I fail to just sit and behold the marvelous creature before me. I see them, but I don't see them. I listen but I don't listen. I fail to "practice their presence" so to speak.

I'm missing out, but I need to get past my own self-absorption to really engage with other people in ways that I rarely do. I think the goodness of God is evidenced in the fact that I actually still have friends!

:) *Smiling, but not joking* :)

2 comments:

Lisa said...

you sure do have friends .... I can name a long list right now if you'd like ....

Brent F said...

You are so right. In my life God is constantly brining opportunities to share myself with others, and in sharing myself, sharing Him. I, in my flesh, am so task oriented that many times I forget to look for the opportunities He brings...Lord forgive me. Great Post!