Thursday, February 15, 2007

I like long walks on the beach

No, the above is not the beginning of a personal ad. I'm referring to one of the activities that I enjoyed in Mexico last week.

Yes, I went to Puerto Vallarta for 5 days this past week. It was planned and executed at the very last minute, and even when I got there I still couldn't believe it was happening.

It was the most unproductive trip I have ever taken, which was absolutely perfect. I sat on the beach and by the pool, and swam a lot in both. I attempted to tan, and if you see me in the near future I'll show you my slight change in colour. (I'm still paler than most, but there is a proud achievement in going from white to off-white. You're more likely to notice my darker freckles, but I'll take what I can get.) I went boogie boarding, body-surfing, whale-watching, snorkeling, and just generally had a lot of fun. I enjoyed lots of time spent with a family that has become very dear to me. I'm not sure how I lucked out to be treated as one of them, but I'm thankful!

You may join the masses in hating me when I tell you that the trip was also free. I'm still in shock and gratitude for the goodness of God as demonstrated in the unexpected generosity of friends.

I've been feeling down this winter, and during what happened to be a bitter cold snap, I had to make some big decisions that were very difficult. This opportunity happened at the exact right time for me, and I was able to get away and start healing. I'd been wrestling lately with believing that God has good plans for me, and then last week, on the 5 year anniversary of Ashley's death, I found myself in Puerto Vallarta laying on a massage table getting a back massage. I was confronted with the absurdity of my doubts. His love isn't always displayed through a free trip down south, but I can only thank Him for every unique blessing, and enjoy each in its time.








6 comments:

Anonymous said...

still kinda sore that you didn't take me

Anonymous said...

A week in Mexico...yeah I hate you too. Not really:) Big decisions- that's right up my "alley" too right now. Sending off an application to Providence within the next week. (MA in Counseling program). We never know where the Lord will lead. Wish we could get together and have one of our 4 hr chats:)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you got to go and have a completely unproductive and relaxing trip - and the sun has given you and extra beautiful glow!

Heather MacDonald said...

Welcome Home Jen,

Rally glad to hear what a great time you had, and yes, just a wee tad jealous, but in a good way. You deserve it! We all need to get together some time very soon...wee miss you heaps.
Love ya,
Heather and Deven

Anonymous said...

Jen,
Was reading a newsletter from you that I had kept, intending to reply to, and noticed your blog site (not sure if that's what it's called!)and decided to check it out. Wow! God has gifted you with wonderful writing skills! Keep sharing - what blessings we can glean from your words! Thanks!

Blackjack Games said...

Rather valuable phrase