Friday, November 03, 2006

The bouquet toss analogy

For the humiliating, but kind of fun tradition that is the bouquet toss, Melanie joked that she was going to throw the bouquet straight to me, and it ended up that she did, albeit accidentally. I saw it flying straight to me, and I put my hand up as if to catch it, but what I really ended up doing was knocking it away from me and over my shoulder onto the floor, where it was quickly snatched up by an eager 10 year old. I couldn't figure out myself if I had tried to catch it, or tried to knock it away, and neither could all of those who saw my arms flapping. We'll have to call in the instant replays from the photographer to clear up this one.
Thinking about how the catching of the bouquet is supposed to be good luck for single women to "catch a man" and be the next one married, it occurred to me that the whole debacle could be an analogy for how I am with relationships in general.

I mentioned it to a few other girls, and we found that the analogies worked for them too: one said that she just plain did not want to catch it, and would have consciously avoided it. She finds herself isolating herself from opportunities and relationships in general. We're not sure if it's just because it's not worth the effort, or if it's because she is afraid of trying to catch it, and missing it. Another girl said that she just didn't expect the bouquet would come her way, so made no efforts to catch it or miss it. I happen to know this girl is usually oblivious when guys show obvious interest in her.

We then thought about Melanie's little sister Hannah who didn't hesitate to snatch up the bouquet I had knocked to the floor. If our bouquet behaviours directly related to our relationship dysfunctions, what could we learn from the girl who caught the bouquet? Well she hardly understood what the tradition was about, but was unafraid and bold enough to take the chance and dive for something that may or may not be something she'd want. She's not jaded.

Enough overanalyzing... I just hope the whole bouquet toss tradition doesn't actually work, because it could be a long wait for me if 10-year old Hannah gets married before I do!

Speaking of analogies: I'm getting a bit worried about the implications on a piece of apparently time-tested wisdom after reading this on BBC.

8 comments:

solnechko said...

I LOVE your analysis!

I can totally see that!!!!!!

KSA said...

So true Jen... so True. Cathy and I got a good laugh out of this post, and figure we could extened the analysis to our end of the world. We now live in a part of the world where the bouquet toss is not part of a traditional wedding, We are live in a part of the world where eligable man also do not exsist. I guess that just goes to prove you right.

Jennifer said...

ah, ksa :) I'm glad you and Cathy got a good laugh out of it. I'll have to come visit your neck of the woods sometime. I suspect that the second part of that post applies to your area as well: that there are NOT plenty of fish in the sea :)

Did anyone open the article and get that part? Some people told me they were confused...

Anonymous said...

just catching up on you after a bit jen ... as usual appreciate your thoughts and vulnerability in your posts - refreshing. :o)

ah, the bouquet toss analogy...so if i pushed mel (your sister) in front of me to catch the bouquet at julia's wedding, that must mean i want to do whatever i can to help her find her eligible man before i find mine ... ();o)

Jennifer said...

haha Cheri... that's hilarious. What selfless efforts. Or else maybe you just wanted to create a distraction, to take the pressure off you catching it... hmmm...

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh at Cheris' comment...your dang right i got the bouquet at julias wedding. Cheri and i did make a scene and made sure to call up the single gals. if we had to be up there so would they...soon cheri soon...i will be getting married. mark my word..

Amy A. said...

Way challenging. You should write a book or something.

The Little Black Girl That Could said...

Hey Jennifer,
Thanks so much for your comment. I'm so glad that you're a fan!

I just read your writing and I LOVE it! Keep them coming...

-Julee